New Delhi: Navratri is a festival of feasting, fasting, and celebration in the form of Garba and Dandiya. Fasting is followed by most communities and it can be a great way to detox the body, provided it is done in the right manner. Here are a few simple tricks that will help you fast the right way, lose weight and stay energised throughout the season.
Tips to fast the healthy way
- Simple sugars are never recommended. So, avoid simple carbohydrates like plain sugar and restrict other carbohydrates like sago, potato and packaged fruit juices.
- Opt for whole fruits that are high in fibre linked to weight loss and better digestion. Fibre will work as fillers and lead to a slow release of sugar for sustained energy.
- Include protein for muscle strength. Simple trick is to include the protein in all the meals throughout the day. Protein can be consumed through low-fat milk and milk products like buttermilk, curd, paneer and fruit-based milkshakes.
- Replace plain rice with samo rice. This is a millet with soluble and insoluble fibre, which enables slow digestion and is low on carbohydrates. It is a low glycemic Index millet with a fair amount of protein.
- Choose makhana as an evening snack with variation like makhana bhel, makhana kheer or dry roasted makhana instead of deep-fried food.
- Potato can be included in moderation in combination with curd
- Including kuttu or buckwheat in your Navratri diet is another healthy food choice. Rich in soluble and insoluble fibre, B complex, vitamins and trace minerals, it can be a part of healthy diet on any given day too. It would be wise to include kuttu in the form of chapatti, dosa, pancakes, etc, instead of deep-fried preparations like puri and pakoda.
- A handful of nuts and dried fruit are another calorie-dense and nutrient-packed addition to the diet.
- Salt is another element to watch in the diet. Some replace regular salt with sendha namak – important point to remember is moderation has to be maintained in any scenario.
- Hydration is of prime importance for the detox to work. So, include plenty of liquids alongside the water. You can choose to have lemon juice, coconut water, buttermilk and milk through the day